Once you have scheduled your child’s first dental visit, it is time to prepare them for it emotionally. Below are suggestions from our board certified, pediatric dentists:
- Use books geared toward children to introduce them to what will happen at the dentist’s office.
- Talk about the dentist in a positive way as a friend who will help your child take care of his teeth.
- Discuss what will happen during the visit, but avoid using “horror” stories. Dentistry has grown and changed, even since your own childhood; techniques are available to make cleanings and procedures pain free.
- Also avoid using trigger words like drill, pull, shot, or hurt. These can cause some anxiety or fear.
- Answer their questions honestly, but use general terms. If you’re uncomfortable answering a question, tell them the dentist will answer it during their visit.
- Reassure your child that you will be with them the whole time. We maintain an open door policy with our patients and parents. We encourage you to stay with your child during treatments and cleanings, since your presence can calm them.
A Dental Home for Every Child
Building a relationship with you and your little one is important for their dental health. The American Dental Association (ADA), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) recommend creating an ongoing relationship between the dentist and the patient in a family oriented way.
This “Dental Home” will help ensure that your child receives the right oral care to prevent decay and keep their smiles healthy. At Kids Dental Center, we strive to create a positive, fun environment for your children where they will feel comfortable and cared for.
Start Early For A Healthy Smile for Life
Your child’s early dental experiences and oral hygiene routines will in some ways predict their oral health into adulthood. To keep their teeth and gums healthy, you need to establish good routines early on and continue to encourage and guide their self-care as they get older.
Help your child have a healthy smile for the rest of their life. Call our Chandler office today and schedule their first visit!