At Kids Dental Center, we believe that building a relationship with you and your little one is important for their dental health! The American Dental Association (ADA), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) recommend creating an ongoing relationship between the dentist and the patient in a family-oriented way.
This “Dental Home” will help ensure that your child receives the right oral care to prevent decay and keep their smiles healthy. At Kids Dental Center, we strive to create a positive, fun environment for your children where they will feel comfortable and cared for.
A Dental Home for Every Child
Once you have scheduled your child’s first dental visit, it is time to prepare them for it emotionally. Below are suggestions from our pediatric dentists:
- Use books geared toward children to introduce them to what will happen at the dentist’s office.
- Talk about the dentist in a positive way as a friend who will help your child take care of his teeth.
- Discuss what will happen during the visit, but avoid using “horror” stories. Dentistry has grown and changed, even since your own childhood; techniques are available to make cleanings and procedures pain-free.
- Avoid using trigger words like drill, pull, shot, or hurt. These can cause some anxiety or fear.
- Answer their questions honestly, but use general terms. If you’re uncomfortable answering a question, tell them the dentist will answer it during their visit.
- Reassure your child that you will be with them the whole time. We maintain an open-door policy with our patients and parents. We encourage you to stay with your child during treatments and cleanings since your presence can calm them.
What To Expect During Your Child's First Dentist Appointment With Us
Our pediatric dentists understand how scary new experiences, especially medical ones, can be for little ones. It’s completely normal for a child to be unsure or nervous about their first dental visit, but at our Chandler pediatric dental practice, they don’t have to be. At Kids Dental Center, we take special care to turn your child’s visit into a memory they will remember fondly—so they can look forward to their regular dental checkups in the future.
Our Chandler office has a warm, kid-friendly waiting area, stocked with storybooks and toys children of all ages can enjoy while they wait. We give children all the time they need to build a comfortable rapport with our dentists and adjust to the dental environment. We recommend your child’s first dental appointment be scheduled as soon as possible after they cut their first tooth. This helps our pediatric dentists make sure their smile has a healthy start!
Once your child is comfortable in the dental chair, we will perform an exam to ensure there are no areas of decay or damage. We'll thoroughly clean their teeth, teaching them how to properly brush and floss at home. If we find cavities or areas of concern, our pediatric dentists will discuss the recommended treatment options with you and answer all of your questions.
Start Early For A Healthy Smile for Life
Your child’s early dental experiences and oral hygiene routines can predict their oral health into adulthood. To keep their teeth and gums healthy, you need to establish good routines early on and continue to encourage and guide their self-care as they get older.
Help your child have a healthy smile for the rest of their life. Call our Chandler office today to schedule their first visit!